Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: 70 million computers are using Windows 98rightnow

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 19:52:48 -0400

On 7/12/06, Flavio Visentin <THe_ZiPMaN () zipman it> wrote:

Castigliola, Angelo wrote:
> There are no known remote exploits for the
> Windows 98 operating system.

This doesn't mean that W98 is secure. On Secunia's site the latest
(corrected) vulnerability is dated 20060613, less than 1 month ago, and
tomorrow someone could find a new one that won't be corrected.

> I Could not tell you how many exploits are
> out there for Internet Explorer or Outlook\Express that will allow
> someone to compromise Windows 98 but I guess very few.

You don't need 2000 vulnerability. It's enough only one exploit to
create a 70 millions PC zombi net.

OK enough is enough

70 million is a made up number, lets stop using it.

and for the record, win9x doesnt have the option for security. no
ACL's, file system doesnt support them, doesnt that make the idea of
securing it moot?

-JP<the confused>