Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Undisclosed breach at major US facility

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 00:49:28 -0400

On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 00:25:15 EDT, Stack Smasher said:
Like I said, shareholder value and profit plays a huge role in people
getting off their ass and doing something to help the general public,
seeing as how you have mostly worked at a university you don't have an
executive board screaming at you

Universities have their equivalent of executive boards, trust me.

And when you have almost 7,000 full time employees, the annual budget is $821M,
and the R&D budget alone is $268M, the management acts the same whether it's a
university or a corporation. Trust me on this one too.  And yes, I'm not
pulling those numbers out of a hat:

http://www.vt.edu/aboutvt/universityataglance.html

(And even at a quarter-billion a year, we're only #55 on the research list -
there's places where the money being tossed around is even bigger, and upper
management acts correspondingly....)