Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Who should i contact?

From: Joe Stewart <jstewart () lurhq com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 08:48:34 -0400

On Wednesday 05 July 2006 04:09, screwedbytaxes () hushmail com wrote:
I've already asked the tax filing company for more information
about any breaches they may have suffered and what other
information may have been exposed. They asked for the source
emails, which I provided, and I have not heard back. This was over
a week ago.

What should I do? What would you do?

Several Bagle variants have a function to collect email addresses from
files on the infected system and upload them to the author for later
spamming. This could be one potential vector for such a breach.

However, before you go busting the filing company, are you sure that
none of your own systems (which may have contained these addresses in
an address book or a browser cache) were infected by Bagle at some
point?

-Joe