Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: blocking tor is not the right way forward. It may just be the right way backward.

From: Sol Invictus <sol () haveyoubeentested org>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 08:18:12 -0400

There is one simple (from management's point of view) way to solve this issue.

DEFAULT DENY and monitor everything else.

That way whenever someone uses a legitimate path for something not legit, it will be caught.

Why do you think they posted guards at the gates of old castles? Create the chokepoint and search everyone.

Sol.

Joel Jose wrote:

see, its pitty how we dont understand that we are trying to defend
using the wrong principles.

just like the other poster pointed out.. protect your data == plug
holes + preserve + restore data.. != go for a witch hunt.

moreover.. we when "blocking" tor and denying access are assuming 3 things :
1) tor cannot be recreated(dont bet on that.. imagine a tor-2 network
which corrects(takes different policy measures) the blacklisting
facility, if we hold the rope so tight as to choke.. the privacy
people and the community will come up with a better and more effective
tool.. )
2) scarce resources is the way forward. Cmon public open proxies, tor
like public projects..etc are not "scarce" resource for the attacker..
but it is a scarce resource for the users... dont get fooled..
ofcourse all it takes for a determined(and well funded) attacker is
"shift" his cables to get onto a different network to attack you ;)
3)TOR is not the problem.. its a solution for privacy... it would be
much better if you try to find time to code for better webserver
protections against a dos.. or even write a patch for that new
full-disclosure vulnerability.. did i say proof-of-concept.. yikes..
;)

PS : ofcourse right now discussions are on on how to "label" / "mark"
tor users so that CIA triad is maintained for resources accessed by
tor users having different access privileges. psuedonyms are a serious
model thats being considered and researched...

joel.