Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Minimal *NIX system?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 16:34:19 -0400

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 22:34:49 +0300, hypermodest said:
We take, for example, Apache, stripping all unnecessary things,
we build *NIX system specially for this networking service –
decide which kernel features must be present while every another
is turned off, choose glibc, choose /bin binaries and even /bin/sh
and other shells may be absent for high resistance to intrusion.
Now the question is – how this method is called and where to read more?

You probably want to look at 'embedded systems' - where Linux is used
on things like a Tivo, or cell phones, or a Zaurus PDA, and so on.  Often
these run very stripped down kernels.  If you know you'll only every have
7 I/O devices, there's no need for any other device drivers, and a lot of
the networking support can often be trimmed down, extra filesystems removed
(when your filesystem is on flash, you may not need anything except ramfs
or jffs2, so heave ext[23]. jfs, reiser, and so on).

Oh, and they often boot with 'init=/the_one_binary' and don't even  bother
with an inittab....