Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Phishing and Spammers

From: Saeed Abu Nimeh <drellman () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 18:57:50 -0500

if you do this you are not curing the problem, rather you are making it
worse. This will never stop phishers from sending emails and you will
tell them that you are an active victim, so they will flood you more!
Saeed

Geo. wrote:
I would appreciate hearing a little feedback on this idea.

It strikes me that phishers and spammers have a vulnerability that we have
not yet exploited. They collect information, granted the returns are small
but since email is cheap they send out tons and those tons net them a
profitable return.

Why not encourage everyone to reply to phishers and spammers with fake
information? Get a spam, order it using a fake name and credit information.
Get a phishing mail, go login to change your ebay/paypal password with fake
credentials.

GIGO, you know? I mean if they are getting a 1% or 2% return then if the
same ratio were to respond with bad information it would make a lot of work
for the folks profitting from these activities.

Geo.