Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Are consumers being misled by "phishing"?

From: Schanulleke <schalulleke () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 08:40:44 +0200

n3td3v wrote:
I believe the industry coined up "phishing" to make more money out of
social engineering. Its obvious now that both are over lapping. Only
the other day Gadi Evron was trying to coin up a phrase for "voice
phishing". Why can't we cut to the chase and drop the (ph)rases and
call it straight forward SOCIAL ENGINEERING.
n3td3v, Phishing, in my opinion, is a form of social engineering.

What I would like to refer to as phishing has as main characteristic that is is usually not targeted or targeted at a group (e.g. a bunch of yahoo users). Like spam (another form of social engineering?) phishing relies on volume to work. It relies on the fact that there is a sucker born every minute and it you ask enough people you will encounter the sucker. The social engineering that has a higher risk profile for me (and the job I have to do) is more targeted and less opportunistic in nature. It is a targeted attack against layer 8 of the OSI model, the human.

Phishing also has the nasty property that it exposes an organization to a risk that is outside the scope of the organization (the customers). The only thing that really helps is to educate the user. Social engineering against employees (like against the Yahoo helpdesk) can also be solved by training elements under your own control (one hopes).

Anyway my 2 cents for what they are worth.

Schanulleke