Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: Re: Re: Links to Google's cacheof626FrSIRTexploits

From: "Dave Korn" <davek_throwaway () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 19:47:23 -0000

Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 15:15:00 GMT, Dave Korn said:

difference?  robots.txt is enforced (or ignored) by the client.  If a
server
returns a 403 or doesn't, depending on what UserAgent you specified,
then
how could making the client ignore robots.txt somehow magically make the
server not return a 403 when you try to fetch a page?

It *can*, however, make the client *issue* a request it would otherwise
not have.

If the client had snarfed a robots.txt, and it said "don't snarf anything
under /dontlook/here/", and a link pointed there. it wouldn't follow the
link.

If you tell it 'robots=off', then it *would* follow the link.

  Yes, these are all extremely obvious truisms, but I think now you need to
utterly irrelevant to the matter at hand.

Remember - robots.txt *isn't* for the pages that would 403.

  See, thing is, "pages that would 403" is /exactly/ what we were talking
about.  So saying "switch off robots.txt" is a completely irrelevant
response.  And the fact that doing so _would_ have /an/ effect in /other/
circumstances doesn't make it any less irrelevant, at least not according to
any definition of the word "relevant" that I've ever seen!

    cheers,
      DaveK