Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Strange interactions between tunnelling and SMB under the proprietary Microsoft Windows environment

From: B3r3n <B3r3n () argosnet com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 08:13:34 +0200

Hi Marc,

At 07:52 30/03/2006, Marc SCHAEFER wrote:
   However, accessing \\192.168.1.2\c$ did go through the Ethernet
   interface, and *not the tunnel*, and strangely half-using the private
   addresses!

This recalls me an old behavior from Microsoft products I was using to detect Internet rogue backdoors on my company's network.

When a windows is multi-homed, it sends packets towards broadcast @IP of each of its addresses to fill his computer browser tables.
Here I am talking about this behavior:
- Internal @IP -> Internal NIC -> Internal @IP broadcast
- Internal @IP -> Internal NIC -> External @IP broadcast
- External @IP -> External NIC -> Internal @IP broadcast
- External @IP -> External NIC -> External @IP broadcast

So you can imagine how this was useful. I was routing internal networks on Internet towards a probe that was also receiving Intranet routers anti-spoofing realtime logs. When the probe was receiving a packet from outside targetting an internal @IP broadcast, I was correlating with antispoof logs of packets coming from an @IP compatible with this external broadcast towards the broadcast of the source @IP of the packet received from the outside and gotcha.

I dont know if Windoze keeps behavior like this.
Possibly this is related?

Brgrds