Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Scientists Call Diebold Security Flaw 'Worst Ever'

From: Simon Roberts <thorpflyer () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 12:58:32 -0700 (PDT)

I love the suggestion that the "probability for exploiting this
vulnerability to install unauthorized software that could affect an
election is considered low."

Does low mean perhaps one-in-a-million? Hmm, how many registered voters
are there in the country?

Sheesh!

--- lsi <stuart () cyberdelix net> wrote:

[I don't agree with the Professor, when he asserts that the best
treatment for this problem is denial.  I suggest that the best
treatment for this problem is dissemination, far and wide, so that
the broadest range of pressures is brought to bear. - Stu]

Published on Thursday, May 11, 2006 by Inside Bay Area

Scientists Call Diebold Security Flaw 'Worst Ever'

Critics say hole created for upgrades could be exploited by someone
with nefarious plans

by Ian Hoffman

Computer scientists say a security hole recently found in Diebold
Election Systems' touch-screen voting machines is the "worst ever" in
a voting system.

Election officials from Iowa to Maryland have been rushing to limit
the risk of vote fraud or disabled voting machines since the hole was
reported Wednesday.

Scientists, who have conferred with Diebold representatives, said
Diebold programmers created the security hole intentionally as a
means of quickly upgrading voting software on its electronic voting
machines.

The hole allows someone with a common computer component and
knowledge of Diebold systems to load almost any software without a
password or proof of authenticity and potentially without leaving
telltale signs of the change.

"I think it's the most serious thing I've heard to date," said Johns
Hopkins University computer science professor Avi Rubin, who
published the first security analysis of Diebold voting software in
2003. "Even describing why I think it's serious is dangerous. This is
something that's so easy to do that if the public were to hear about
it, it would raise the risk of someone doing it. ... This is the
worst-case scenario, almost."

Diebold representatives acknowledged the security hole to
Pennsylvania elections officials in a May 1 memo but said the
"probability for exploiting this vulnerability to install
unauthorized software that could affect an election is considered
low."

California elections officials echoed that assessment Friday in a
message to county elections chiefs.

But several computer scientists said Wednesday that those judgments
are founded on the mistaken assumption that taking advantage of the
security hole would require access to voting machines for a long
time.

"I don't know anyone who considers two minutes lengthy, if it's
that," said Michael Shamos, a Carnegie Mellon University computer
science professor and veteran voting-systems examiner for the state
of Pennsylvania.

"It's the most serious security breach that's ever been discovered in
a voting system. On this one, the probability of success is extremely
high because there's no residue. ... Any kind of cursory inspection
of the machine would not reveal it."

States using Diebold touch screens are "going to have to fix it
because they can't have an election without having a fix to this," he
said. Otherwise, states risk challenges from losing candidates while
being unable to prove easily that the machines worked as designed.

At least two states - Pennsylvania and California - have ordered
tighter security and reprogramming of all Diebold touch screens,
using software supplied by the state and a method opened by the
security hole. Local elections officials then must seal certain
openings on the machines with tamper-evident tape.

David Wagner, an assistant professor of computer-science at the
University of California, Berkeley and a technical adviser to the
California secretary of state's office, said the new measures should
minimize risks in the June 6 primary.

Elections officials in Georgia, which uses Diebold touch screens
statewide, said existing state rules already are sufficient.

Bev Harris, founder of BlackBoxVoting.org, a nonprofit group critical
of electronic voting, said she isn't sure reprogramming and sealing
the touch screens will fix the problem.

Voting machines often are delivered to polling places several days
before elections, and the outside case of Diebold's touch screens is
secured by common Phillips screws. Inside, a hacker can take
advantage of the security hole, as well as access other security
holes, without disturbing the tamper-evident seals, Harris said.

"Ultimately, there's no way to get rid of the huge security flaws in
the design," she said.

� 2000-2006 ANG Newspapers

---
Stuart Udall
stuart at () cyberdelix dot net - http://www.cyberdelix.net/

---
 * Origin: lsi: revolution through evolution (192:168/0.2)

"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions." — Naguib
Mahfouz