Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Five Ways to Screw Up SSL

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 14:14:03 -0400

On 5/23/06, Brian Eaton <eaton.lists () gmail com> wrote:
On 5/23/06, Dude VanWinkle <dudevanwinkle () gmail com> wrote:
> I guess you would hijack their machines with a bug that would edit the
> local cache, refresh the cache, then report to you about the websites
> the victim's machine had visited, and you could request an ssl cert
> for those sites.

If you can get this far, why not just trojan IE and be done with it?

http://isc.sans.org/presentations/banking_malware.pdf

Agreed. If you get to this point, you might as well just install a
keylogger and be done with it.

> The only problem I see with this scenario from a freessl perspective
> is that they require verification in the form of an email sent to
> admin () domain com or from an email sent to the admin from the upstream
> DNS provider. This would be a little tricky to get around as you would
> have to munge freessl's DNS records.

This implies that you trust every server that relays the e-mail.

I dont trust any server that relays email ;-)

-JP