Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: abnormal behavior Gmail logon

From: Ajay Pal Singh Atwal <ajaypal () bbsbec org>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 23:18:47 +0530 (IST)

Should'nt the behaviour of a proxy in case of both RST and FIN should be same, i.e always a FIN. As proxy should close
the connection **properly** even in case of a failure on the other side.

Sincerely

Ajay Pal Singh Atwal

----- David Farinic <davidfa () gfi com> wrote:
Servers are supposed to send RST packets when they do that, but not
all
servers do it, and not all clients recognize those RST packets as
indicating that the document they just downloaded is incomplete

Most of the clients do recognize and most web servers do correctly
apply
use of RST and FIN for TCP/IP HTTP connection ending.

Problem is that some (most?)Proxy servers (nontransparent and
probably
also transparent)  DO NOT.

I tested 4 different proxy servers if they pass RST to client's
browser
when original web server sent RST. All sent FIN instead of RST :(. (I
Did this test as I found other web apps. problems resulting from this
proxy behavior)

If anybody knows proxy which behaves 'correctly,' pls let me know.

Regards David Farinic