Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Opera/Konqueror: data: URL scheme address bar spoofing

From: "Martin Aberastegue" <xyborg () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 05:02:54 -0500

Ummmmm -- what part of "address bar spoofing" did you not understand?

_IF_ the URL spoofing part of a URL spoofing vulnerability in one
browser does not work in another browser, then that other browser is
clearly NOT vulnerable to the first browser's URL spoofing
vulnerability.

I understand that...

The issue Robert reported is NOT that Opera and Konqueror parse the
data: protocol, BUT that cunning use of a data: protocol URL can be
used to fool the user to think they're somewhere other than they are.

As you so clearly -- and accurately -- say yourself, the URL spoofing
part of this does not work in FF, so we should give a rat's arse that
FF handles data: protocol URLs why?

ok.. see this pic..
http://www.rzw.com.ar/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/ff_spoof.jpg

as you said.. "that cunning use of a data: protocol URL can be used to
fool the user to think they're somewhere other than they are".. and
now tell me that inexperienced users can't be confused if they saw
something like that..., that's my point.

--
Martin Aberastegue
http://www.rzw.com.ar