Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Crafted SYN Packets...

From: Simon Smith <simon () snosoft com>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 17:38:39 -0500

Kelly,
        SYN packets and ports do not correlate. And yes, SYN is TCP. You should
read up on TCP/IP etc so that you understand protocols before posting to
mailing lists.

Kelly Robinson wrote:
Looking at some suspicious behaviour in our logs...

If someone sends a packet with the SYN bit set to a host, typically what
is the client's source port? Or is that crafted too?

And additionally, when a client does sent a packet of this type, am I
right in assuming its generally TCP only? Can you have a UDP SYN packet?
I assume because its connectionless, no???

--

- simon