Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Unreal: a movement to block Firefox

From: Tremaine Lea <tremaine () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 15:13:43 -0600

On 11-Sep-07, at 1:12 PM, Juergen Fiedler wrote:

On Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 11:58:24AM -0400, mbs wrote:
[...]
I don't know about anyone else, but I happen to pay for my internet
access. If I choose not to waste my bandwidth (and my time) with
unwanted content, I would suggest that is my right.

This is not going to be a very popular opinion, but I submit that the
only honest way to exercise this right is to stay away from sites that
serve content that you don't want to see.

How will a user know what content, precisely, is on the site without
visiting it?  You seem to be proposing that we should blindly trust
the other side until proven otherwise rather than proactively
protecting the system.

By serving ads on a site, the owner implicitly demands viewing them as
a form of payment for the content they provide. While I think that
blocking all Firefox users from a site makes very litle sense, I can
entirely disagree with the conclusion that blocking ads from ad
supported sites is uncomfortably close to theft.

Just my two cents...
 -Juergen

These sites would be better off finding a way to ensure the
advertising content has loaded before the site content is provided
then.  As someone who administers perimeter security for a large
enterprise, I could care less what these sites *think* they are
entitled to push on users.  If their content (or advertising) matches
our filters, it gets blocked.

Besides, taking action based on information provided by the client
side has been considered a less than intelligent practice for some
time ;)

Cheers,

- ---
Tremaine Lea