Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Creating a rogue CA certificate

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 13:16:36 -0500

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 12:57:52 EST, Elazar Broad said:

That's true, keeping up with security is not cheap nor easy.

Meanwhile, doing nothing is *always* cheap and easy, especially when it's
very unlikely that *you* will end up paying the price...

Tradeoff's are tradeoff's, the question is, when it comes down to
the $$$, is more cost effective to be proactive vs reactive in this
case. Time will tell...

The important point here is that the cost of the vulnerability is what
economists call an externality - the CA who issued the cert that got
abused isn't the one who ends up with the headache.  If Certs-R-Us gives
BadGuy Inc a jiggered cert, and BadGuy Inc uses that to make a fake
Widgets-Today.com site and Joe Sixpack gets suckered, then Joe Sixpack
has a problem, Widgest-Today may have a problem - and neither victim is
very likely to blame Certs-R-Us - after all, Widgets-Today got *their*
cert from somebody else.  Certs-R-Us doesn't have a problem unless they
end up on CNN - otherwise *their* potential customers won't know there's
an issue.

On the other hand, if Microsoft and Mozilla issue updates that make their
browsers reject out-of-hand any cert with an MD5, *that* will make Certs-R-Us
sit up and pay attention *immediately*, because "I bought a cert from you
and the frikking thing doesn't work" *does* impact their bottom line.

I predict that if Microsoft and Mozilla do this, there will be a lot of
ambulance-chasing, as opportunists spider the web looking for OpenSSL
connections that present a cert with MD5, and spam the site with "We have
sooper-cheap non-MD5 certs!" ads...