Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: [Wired Security/EOF] Disable Windows Defender(Vista) PoC code

From: <skyout.fd () wired-security net>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 23:33:58 +0200

On Wed, 14 May 2008 13:49:35 -0700, "Peter Ferrie" <peter.ferrie () gmail com>
wrote:
my friend Izee from the EOF-Project(.net) team has coded a
simple PoC code, that demonstrates how to disable the Windows
Defender on Vista (tested with and without SPs on x86/x64)
using its own API made for it.

Does he realise that he must be Admin first?
Then he he can just disable the service, or delete the files, or
whatever.
Using the API doesn't gain much here.

the thing is, that microsoft says, that ONLY SIGNED processes can do this,
this
is a lie, nothing more and in my oppinion this opens an attack vector and
provides
common insecurity...

cheers,
skyout