Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: [Dailydave] Once thought safe, WPA Wi-Fi encryption is cracked

From: Thierry Zoller <Thierry () Zoller lu>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 00:52:59 +0100

Dear Goerge,
GO> First of all, this was not a crack against WPA; it was a weakening of TKIP.
That was exactly my point.

To the best of my knowledge and please correct me if I am wrong :

GO> WPA != TKIP.  WPA is an industry certification standard which mandates TKIP
GO> encryption capability but leaves AES encryption optional.
I'd even say it leaves CCMP optional, let's no confuse ourselves even
more here and compare TKIP to AES - directly.

In summary:
There exists amongst others WPA-PSK-TKIP (RC4) aswell as WPA-PSK-CCMP (AES)
TKIP = IEEE 802.11i -
CCMP = IEEE 802.11i - CTR with CBC-MAC Protocol (CCMP).
Both are refered to Robust Secure Network in IEEE 802.11i

While TKIP might be weakened cracked - WPA - AFAIK isn't.

GO> What this means is that people should add TKIP to the list of obsolete encryption
GO> algorithms like WEP.
This summarises it perfectly.

--
http://secdev.zoller.lu