Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: ACM.ORG data leak still there 4 days after announcing to CEO John White

From: Christian Sciberras <uuf6429 () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 22:11:14 +0100

Valdis & Benji,

I don't recall the OP saying he did a open test, nor injecting
anything the database, and a much as I've read, not even RFI.
Causing a server to spit out sensitive information without
modification (unauthorized access and service failures/denial of
service) surely doesn't count as a crime.
Someone picking up $1000 from a road is obviously not a criminal
either (assuming the money is legit), getting into a bank on the other
hand is a crime.

I'm speaking this from a little personal experience of mine, where I
came upon several XSS exploits on a gov't main site (it's nothing),
however, point being I didn't go there with the intent to do any harm,
and didn't have to, to notice the serious flaw.

That said, something I did in Malta could be punished by beheading in
Iran for what I know (and a severe fine in the US). It all depends on
the law. Assuming it is a fair and comprehensible one (or simply
outdated) this kind of "attack" is not covered or puts the defendant
[company/gov't] in serious implications (such as in my case where the
gov't is bound by law to provide a high uptime service with as much
security as possible - yet it had serious but basic flaws).

Regards,
Chris.