Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Google Maps XSS (currently unpatched)

From: Guy <full-disclosure () nullamatix com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 19:17:46 -0500

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 6:23 PM, sunjester <tripmonster () gmail com> wrote:
No I am not confusing the two. People want to separate them but fail to
notice they are both one in the same when you are "surfing the web". Being
secluded from danger (behind a firewall) or being hidden from the view
others (behind a firewall) sounds to similar for me to separate the two.

Your security is your privacy, and yes your privacy is your security. You
give them both up when viewing anything online, it's the price you should
have to pay to keep the the internet "safe" for casual users.

sunjester,

First of all, "security" is a myth. One can presume they're "secure"
(or secluded) from danger sitting behind a firewall, but to do so is
just foolish.

Second, how exactly does a firewall prevent
(google|msn|twitter|facebook|take-your-pick) from archiving vital
information, such as: search query history, financial information,
surfing habits, buying habits, relationships, hobbies, interests, etc?
With that amount of data, how can you (or anyone) believe the
integrity of your privacy is uncompromised just because you're,
"(behind a firewall)"?

Finally, uuh - no... My security is my security, and my privacy is my
privacy. I do not "give up" either of them when viewing anything
online. I do, however, put them at risk.

And who are you tell me I should give up my privacy/security when
surfing the Internet because I owe something to the "casual" user[s]?
Casual users are typically the ones ruining the experience for the
rest of us, and I don't owe anyone of them sh-t. You really believe
everyone using the Internet should forfeit their privacy and security
because they owe you something? That's "the price YOU" might pay, but
not everyone would agree, firewall or not.

Guy