Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Firefox same-origin policy for fonts

From: paul.szabo () sydney edu au
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 09:43:47 +1000

One of my users asked me to install MathJax on my server.
Reading installation instructions in
  http://www.mathjax.org/resources/docs/?installation.html#notes-about-shared-installations
I came across the following:

  ... Firefox's same-origin security policy for cross-domain scripting.
  Firefox's interpretation of the same-origin policy is more strict than
    most other browsers, and it affects how fonts are loaded with the
    @font-face CSS directive. ...
  There is a solution to this, however, if you manage the server ...
    create a file called .htaccess that contains the following lines: ...
    Header set Access-Control-Allow-Origin "*"

That would suggest that this same-origin policy can be defeated by
settings on the "evil" server: the policy is not enforced, useless.
Did I misunderstand something?

(Does not really matter to me, am not planning on using that setting,
but am wondering about Firefox workings.)

Thanks,

Paul Szabo   psz () maths usyd edu au   http://www.maths.usyd.edu.au/u/psz/
School of Mathematics and Statistics   University of Sydney    Australia