Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: KeePass version 2.12 <= Insecure DLL Hijacking Vulnerability (dwmapi.dll)

From: "Stefan Kanthak" <stefan.kanthak () nexgo de>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 18:49:27 +0200

Christian Sciberras wrote:

I can't take THAT seriously. At least not all of it.

The part that interested me most:

 4. Should I find such vulnerability in many applications as I can?

 You should not. It's just a waste of time and your energy. Focus on most popular application types/classes.

If, say, DWM.dll is exploitable, why not point *that* out rather than
point out the many applications that are using it (wrongly)?

ANY DLL is/may be exploitable when referenced without its (often
well-known) complete pathname.
It IS necessary to name all the applications with unqualified
references and to have them fixed by their authors/vendors.

And there are MANY places where DLLs or EXEs are referenced, not just
in binaries: the registry, DESKTOP.INI files (especially in the start
menu and %ProgramFiles%), batch files (do you reference CMD.EXE always
as %SystemRoot%\System32\CMD.EXE? No? It really doesn't hurt!), scripts
(including AUTORUN.INF.-), ...

Stefan

Oh, and the "report". For obvious reasons, I cannot include the full
report. If I missed passing any detail, just ask and I'll fix right
away.

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/4801/31998033.png