Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: TLS servers with overbroad certificates may mishandle diverted connections

From: coderman <coderman () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 03:43:51 -0700

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 7:31 PM, Matt McCutchen <matt () mattmccutchen net> wrote:
If I make a TLS connection to example.com, a MITM attacker can divert
the connection to any server that bears a certificate valid for
example.com, ... especially likely to arise with wildcard certificates.
 I plan to release an automated testing
tool, but I decided to go ahead and publicize the issue first.

i can has code?

p.s. marsh ray: wildcard certs are a useful tool when properly applied.
(though i admit most won't use them properly. par for the crypto course...)