Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Facebook URL Redirect Vulnerability

From: Chris Evans <scarybeasts () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 11:04:06 -0800

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 6:30 AM, Nathan Power <np () securitypentest com> wrote:

There are 3 different steps to perform an attack using a URL redirect:  1)
trick the user

You do not need an open redirect to trick the user. Try <a href="
http://www.evil.com";>
www.facebook.com/OMFGacatvomitingacanaryandpuppiesandshit</a>

Also, a lot of the open redirector debate hinges on assuming a user knows
how to parse an URL and validate a hostname. It's a false assumption.

Cheers
Chris

2) redirect 3) exploit .. We are using a Facebook URL to trick the user, we
are using the URL redirect as the catalyst to perform an exploit.

Here are some examples of the types of attacks you can perform with a URL
redirect, CSRF, phishing (fake fb login), and browser exploits (javascript
zombie,0days,etc).

How would you have written the impact section?

To be clear - I was trying to make a point when determining the impact,
once you click on a bad link, bad things will happen.

Nathan Power
www.securitypentest.com