Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: when did piracy/theft become expression of freedom

From: Ferenc Kovacs <tyra3l () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 13:33:41 +0100

On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 10:53 AM, Charles Morris <cmorris () cs odu edu> wrote:

Dear Valdis and whoever else;

The really ridiculous points are the following:
A) Every time you execute/install/download a program you are
committing evil data theft by not only copying
"secret" or "illegal" information into
RAM/Disk/Registers/Buffers/Busses/photons coming off the screen/human
memory/history of the universe but potentially not just your physical
property but on hundreds of routers and deduplication boxen around the
earth.

which is allowed to you by the copyright holders.

B) You can't "copyright" or "own" a number, all digital
representations are numbers, due to the boolean nature (no fuzzy
data), etc.

sadly one can:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illegal_prime

C) Any data is a form of any other data given a specific transform,
e.g. manifold / encryption key + algo, something as trivial as XOR

and?

D) You guys already know these points so why do we even care anymore
about what these people say? Why even have these conversations. They
will never stop. It's about greed and shortsightedness, not about what
is moral or logical. Just try to ignore them or change the subject
when the parrots start talking.

you can't ignore them until the law is supporting them.

And to preempt the flames from the blind, Yes I feel artists should be
compensated for their contribution.

agree

--
Ferenc Kovács