Full Disclosure mailing list archives

suspicion of rootkit

From: phocean <0x90 () phocean net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 22:42:42 +0200

Hi list,

I am having a strange issue.
I have a lab virtual machine that behaves as if it was owned by a rootkit: weird behavior with system certificates and
keyboard driver.
I first thought that with this knowledge it would be easy to spot the culprit: find some malicious driver or some
kernel hook. But I failed...

The problem is I have tried both live and RAM analysis (Volatility) and found absolutely nothing unusual.

I am not an expert of Windows internals, so I am probably missing something.
Could you please give me some hint or point me to some resource? (I have the book Windows Internals, but still I don't
see how to start with this mess).

More details are on my blog.

Thanks,

--- phocean