Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: How much time is appropriate for fixing

From: "Gary E. Miller" <gem () rellim com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 14:48:59 -0700

Yo Григорий!

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 17:15:37 -0400
Григорий Братислава <musntlive () gmail com> wrote:

People do not disclose their research to make
the world a better place.  They do it for recognition or for money.

I would argue there is a 3rd reason.  Self defense.  I and others
have had issues of our servers being attacked by unkown evil
doers.  To keep our servers running we need to reverse engineer the
hack and get the bug fixed or the attack vector blocked.  Until '*
Disclosure' in its many aspects was common it was virtually
impossible to get vendors to fix open holes being actively used by
attackers.  The public shaming of '* Disclosure' large companies
found denial a very easy and cheap resonse to bugs that were
killing us.

Poor argument.

Maybe, but my real world example shows your simplistic logic is wrong.

 If you is smart enough to is reverse engineer the
threat, why can't you forward engineer a fix and post it publicly so
that is others don't get hacked.

Who said I have not?  But since that is a non-sequiter to my counter
example to your argument, I'll leave that answer for another day.

Public shaming of not only is vendor of shoddy software, but is
attacker, is key no one is think about.

Psych 101: Evil people have no shame.

RGDS
GARY