Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Brute Force vulnerability in WordPress

From: Christian Sciberras <uuf6429 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 23:55:19 +0200

How do you propose fixing this "vulnerability"?

"Error: Just pick another username....we don't like the one you chose."

Brute force wouldn't work (would be infeasible) if wrong logins would take
slightly longer to process (say, 2 to 5 seconds) as well as throttling
login attempts.
But again, this is a login issue, definitely NOT "abuse of functionality by
bruteforcing logins".

Hell, I could "bruteforce" logins with a single google dork... there's no
point protecting against the inevitable, especially when the "protection"
is causing a huge disservice for absolutely no reason.

Chris.