Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: debugfs exploit for a number of Android devices

From: Alexander Pruss <arpruss () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2012 16:33:47 -0500

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 8:10 AM, Dan Rosenberg
<dan.j.rosenberg () gmail com> wrote:
The sane way to exploit this is to make /data shell-writable, and create or
modify /data/local.prop to contain the string "ro.kernel.qemu=1", which
causes ADB to retain root privileges rather than dropping to user "shell"
since this property convinces it that the device is the emulator.  Using
debugfs to modify the filesystem is completely unnecessary and potentially
destructive.

Actually, it looks like it's not quite so easy as editing
/data/local.prop.  My wife just got an Epic 4G Touch with ICS, and it
looks like they put ro.kernel.qemu=0 in /system/build.prop, which
makes any ro.kernel.qemu=1 setting in /data/local.prop get completely
ignored.  That's a nice and simple way of getting around many ways of
gaining root.  I may break down and use debugfs. :-(

Alex

--
Alexander R. Pruss
arpruss () gmail com