Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: how to sell and get a fair price

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 16:45:30 -0500

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 23:24:30 +0100, Christian Sciberras said:

Couldn't one talk "through" a lawyer? Guess in such a case it would be a
matter of how much you trust your lawyer.

As I said, it's doable, but *not* a slam dunk, and requires help from
both your lawyer and the judge.

Also, what stops a person to file it under a company name if that's easier?
I admit I'm not into this area, so I might be missing something
fundamental...

If you publish an exploit as "BitWizard97", and somebody scarfs it up and
starts selling it, filing the suit to enjoin them from selling it without your
permission under a company name doesn't make it any easier to prove that you,
or the company, have any legal standing to represent BitWizard97.

It's especially problematic if the local law enforcement authorities want
to have a little chat with BitWizard97 regarding some other activities...