Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Student expelled from Montreal college after finding vulnerability that compromised security of 250, 000

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 14:39:56 -0500

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 2:22 PM,  <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:
On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 19:59:53 +0100, Stefan Weimar said:

1) The kid, as part of his major, signed an ethics document.

A better solution would have been to not do the steps 1 and 2 but make
an NDA ("Ok, we know and you know but that's enough by now.") instead.
I mean, some kind of responsible disclosure.

By proposing this "ethics document" it was the college being
unprofessional and not the kid.

I think you misunderstand - the ethics document was signed *when he
applied as a student".  If you think that's "unprofessional", you
might want to consider that doctors, lawyers, and other professions
have ethics standards as well.  As does anybody who has a CISSP:
That has not stopped lawyers and judges from perverting the legal
system in the US. Judge James Ware FTW!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Ware_(judge).

https://www.isc2.org/ethics/default.aspx
TLDR;

Just kidding. Its actually quite short. I wonder of the college gave
him a contract, and called it a code of ethics.

I'd say anybody who persisted in doing something after they promised
not to would be running afoul of the "necessary public trust and confidence"
clause of the CISSP code of ethics?
Well, there could be a lot of wiggle room. How much of it is subjective?

Is it like Christianity, where the 10 Commandments are taken as 10 Suggestions?

Jeff