Full Disclosure mailing list archives

CVE-2013-0634 Original sample can not be confirmed until now

From: アドリアンヘンドリック <unixfreaxjp22 () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 13:16:46 +0900

CVE-2013-0634 Original sample can not be confirmed until now
Expl: this is the communication between Researcher involved in
        investigation of the above CVE with the a member of an
        entity that claimed to be first to find the threat in the wild.

Ah, Yes. FinalIy I expected this kind of reply on the issue, of course! why
not!  :-)
Generally speaking, in this world, there are so many excuses that can be
made & used to hide or to fake stuffs that actually doesn't even exist? no?
Noted, generally speaking.

That's why in vulnerability assessment and research, is not a mere request,
but the term of PoC in vulnerability is badly needed, to confirm form of
the threat, usually by performed by several researchers. The PoC itself,
not only the explanation, but physical analysis of the threat, but also the
nature of how the threat was spotted first time "and its sample".

Our analysis was posted in MalwareMustDie post on:
http://malwaremustdie.blogspot.jp/2013/02/cve-2013-0634-this-ladyboyle-is-not.html
.. is actually research effort to confirm and PoC the threat itself, since
that time the vendor's information was not enough to described the threat.

We all should know that no one own a public threat, if you found it doesn't
mean you are the owner of those threat's samples or codes.

Adobe claimed to find CVE-2013-0634 in the wild in websites (is plural, not
singular) which actually has no proof of concept on its existence that can
be shown for public, when the time the threat was announced, until this
day. For me, who breath in threat assessment in daily activity is a serious
topic and responsibility.

We trailed the fact and Adobe as vendor stated that the sample was first
being found by Shadow Server as stand alone flash "LadyBoyle" coded file,
during the era of CVE-2013-0633 was also firstly found. The security focus
page of the first announce still show the "unchanged" snapshot when it was
first released:
http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/57787

If there are some samples of CVE-2013-0633 exists, which was claimed found
by different entity and obviously shared to the public afterwards (with
thank you so much!), but why there was not even one single sample of
CVE-2013-0634 at all that was claimed "found
and passed to Adobe" until now?
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Even though Shadow Server passed it to the maker to be fixed, it is
necessary also to publish those sample for research purpose. Of course not
before the flaw fixed but after it fixed.
And now, long months passed by ..but until this day there is still no sign
of that original mentioned CVE-2013-0634 sample, of a stand alone flash
file announced / posted /shared in anywhere.
This is just so wrong. Why? What was the proof of the existence of stand
alone "LadyBoyle" malicious SWF file in the wild that time? Sadly to say:
None.

On different communication subject, a member of Shadow Server was
contacting us, and I brought this sample issue back into the communication.
The reasoning for not sharing to us, with usage the wording of "your
request behavior buff and Your request was not received...and so on.." is
sounds like an excuse for the greater value of truth that is actually in
demand here. A reasoning which scientifically ..how to say
this.."inappropriate" for that will raise a doubt on the truth in advisory
information of the threat itself.  And for all of us researchers involved
to this case, can't help to think that the existence probability of the
initial sample reported found is "apparently" small, unless can be proved
otherwise.

If there's actually was no sample that was stated detected in "websites"
(noted again, plural)  in Adobe advisory below, this will be an abuse of
security concept (read = a lie), which lead to what was written in the
advisory statement below...

http://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb13-04.html
"Adobe is also aware of reports that CVE-2013-0634 is being exploited in
the wild in attacks delivered via malicious Flash (SWF) content hosted on
websites that target Flash Player in Firefox or Safari on the Macintosh
platform"

..to be a completely wrong. So since the possibility of no samples is
getting bigger, researchers and people indeed need to know about what's
incorrect in this act.  So I hereby post as Cc to Full Disclosure about
this matter, for all of security gentlemen listed can read and judge by
yourself.

PS, moreover, we found that "someone" was "producing" a "pathetic attempt"
to "fake" sample of CVE-2013-0634 which was posted in VT in below link
which is actually a scrapped code from the flash embeded to CVE-2013-0633
msword files! Yes binary and its hash has "magic" which not allowing
themself to lie! :-)
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/19a5e24e8c90e2d7f65729455c3fd8b89ebbfdc8d218db3ab4a3193100106267/analysis/

I am Hendrik Adrian one of the flock of researchers on CVE-2013-0634
reporting this matter and the end of communication to the counterparts that
possibly can provide the specific "initial" sample requested. I hope this
problem will not happen to the rest of the researchers for the future and
on going threat, to make sure to see the sample as PoC exploit or
vulnerability before someone hide its existence.

Rgds

--
Hendrik Adrian / @unixfreaxjp
PGP/MIT.EDU: RSA 2048/0xEC61AB9