Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: heartbleed OpenSSL bug CVE-2014-0160

From: Paul Vixie <paul () redbarn org>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 02:45:07 -0700

Juergen Christoffel wrote:
On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 11:32:21PM -0700, Paul Vixie wrote:
[...]
really bruce? on a scale of doesn't-matter-at-all to
worst-thing-you-could-have-previously-imagined, a read only exploit is
even worse than that?

With all due respect to your ego Paul, I think you might
under-estimate the
long term effects: private keys get stolen, this allows people to play
man-in-the-middle, people (the masses) will renew their certificates but
might re-use their generated private keys because the don't know exactly
what they are doing, etc.

thanks for whatever respect may be due, but bruce is still wrong. the
cost to fix this is:

1. replace all private keys
2. replace all passwords
3. upgrade all SSL software

that rates 9 out of 10, where 10 is the worst thing i could have
imagined pre-heartbleed, which is remote file modification and/or remote
code execution, because the costs in that case would be:

1. inclusive of [1..3] above
2. replace all operating systems
3. audit or replace all user data

As the EFF's traces back into 2013 might tell us, some bad guys exploited
this for some time now. If this is the case, we might soon arrive at the
conclusion that we need to exchange all certificates which had been
created
in the last two years.

we already have to do that, since we have to assume the worst whenever
we don't have log files which somehow prove a negative.

While I hope it tends to your interpretation, I fear a bit that it
might be
Bruces in the long run.

bruce was spouting nonsense. heartbleed's costs will not be higher than
previously imaginable.

vixie