Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: [oss-security] CVE-2017-17670: vlc: type conversion vulnerability

From: Hans Jerry Illikainen <hji () dyntopia com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2017 20:12:04 +0000

On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 05:28:45AM -0500, Stiepan wrote:
Nice job! By the way, when is back-porting of the fix to the current
stable version(s) envisioned? (I doubt most oss OS distributions use
the "HEAD of the VLC master branch", nor that most Windows or Mac
users use the latest bleeding-edge build, leaving a potentially large
window for exploitation if former versions don't get fixed; knowing
VLC's popularity, I think that the question should be seriously
considered)
And is there a standalone patch or workaround that could be used for
older versions (besides not opening mp4 videos anymore)?

The MP4 module has undergone some major changes and unfortunately the
VLC project probably won't backport a fix to 2.2.x.

--
hji