Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: OpenBSD kernel relinking is not transactional and a local exploit exists

From: jvoisin via Fulldisclosure <fulldisclosure () seclists org>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 20:32:29 +0200

On 6/17/23 11:40, Schech, C. W. ("Connor") wrote:
The automatic and mandatory-by-default reordering of OpenBSD kernels
is NOT transactional and as a result, a local unpatched exploit exists
which allows tampering or replacement of the kernel. Arbitrary build
artifacts are cyclically relinked with no data integrity or provenance
being maintained or verified for the objects being consumed with
respect to the running kernel before and during the execution of the
mandatory kernel_reorder process in the supplied /etc/rc and
/usr/libexec scripts. The reordering occurs at the end of installation
process and also automatically every reboot cycle thereafter unless
manually bypassed by a knowledgable party.

I'm unsure I understand the threat model here: an attacker with root
privileges is able to modify the kernel data about to be relinked?

You're also mentioning SLSA, but as you also said, OpenBSD doesn't have
reproducible builds and all the cool build hardening things(tm). So
having a cryptographic path to the resulting relinked kernel won't
really improve anything, given the current state of affairs.