funsec mailing list archives

Re: Location tracking in cellphones

From: Jordan Wiens <numatrix () ufl edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 14:18:07 -0400 (EDT)

FYI, GSM treo's don't have the location setting as far as I can see. My unbranded 650 (using it on t-mobile) doesn't at least, while my office-mate's Sprint 650 does have similar locator settings, and it is on by default as well. The text associated with the option on the sprint 650 is:

"Turning location on will allow the network to detect your position using GPS technology, making some Sprint PCS applications and services easier to use. Turning location off will disable the GPS location function except 911, but will not hide your general location based on the cell site serving your call. No application or service may use your location without your request or permission. GPS enhanced 911 is not available in all areas."

--
Jordan Wiens, CISSP
UF Network Security Engineer