funsec mailing list archives

Off topic, right?

From: Gary Warner <gar () askgar com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 12:24:09 -0500

This is the off-topic list, right?

Here's my latest off-topic musings:

"on Nature"

My son had an assignment last night dealing with Ralph Waldo Emerson's "Nature".

He came and interrupted me watching a tv program with my wife and daughter and said, I'm sorry to bug you, but I need help.

This was a break-through moment as he's been being a stubborn 15 year old and refusing to ask for help, and then bringing home bad grades.

He wasn't getting it. The Transparent Eye. The City of God. Pretty much none of it.

He asked me to explain it to him, so I did.

We talked about Isaac Asimov's NIGHTFALL, and Buddhism and the Universal Soul, and the fact that without an ego we approach nature transparently. We approach a tree or a stream or a deer as a fellow creation of God, because we have left our higher self that worries about what time it is and what we're having for supper and whether our son will get into medical school or whether the customer will like our presentation on Friday . . . we left all of that self at the border of the Woods when we entered Nature purposefully.

We talked about how when you ask a four year old to draw a picture you get a tree and a house and a boy with a dog and a big yellow sun up above, and how they focus on what things around them ARE instead of what they think about them. We talked about the industrial revolution and how it made all of God's creation appear in our mind as a list of resources to be exploited, and when I was done he said

"I wish you could come say that to my class, just like that."

And then he threw away his almost completed homework, that isn't graded for content, but is just a check-mark that says "did it", because they are supposed to use their answers to the homework questions for their in-class conversation, and he wrote for thirty more minutes, so he would be equipped to explain this poem to his friends.

if the stars
appeared but once
in a thousand years

we'd be busy