funsec mailing list archives

Re: Malicious code could trick ZoneAlarm firewall

From: Jordan Wiens <numatrix () ufl edu>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 17:44:06 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005, Fergie (Paul Ferguson) wrote:

[snip]

An attacker could trick the firewall by linking a malicious program, such as a keystroke logger, to another
application, for example, Internet Explorer. When the keystroke logger subsequently sends its captured data out, the
firewall would see IE accessing the Internet, not the spyware, and allow the connection.

[snip]

http://news.com.com/Malicious+code+could+trick+ZoneAlarm+firewall/2100-1002_3-5886488.html

Not exactly news, is it? Malware has been loading dynamic libraries into known applications for a while now. Heck, there are toolkits that will automatically slip one program into another for you (if memory serves, we've even seen the tool to do it loaded up on compromised machines on campus). Unless I'm missing something and this is something different?

--
Jordan Wiens, CISSP
UF Network Security Engineer