funsec mailing list archives

Re: Phishing scam for PC Magazine

From: Barrie Dempster <barrie () reboot-robot net>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 13:41:40 +0000

On Wed, 2005-11-23 at 08:16 -0500, Richard M. Smith wrote:
I just got the attached piece of phishing spam.  This is the first
time I've seen a cheap product used in a phishing scam to grab
people's credit card information.  The fake domain set up for this
scam is named www.zdmcirc.com.

That isn't a scam, it's legit marketing material, The domain is
registered to Ziff Davis who publish PC Mag and has the same
registration details as the Ziff Davis website, not to mention the fact
it is through the same registrar - this isn't proof enough however as
some registrar security isn't all that greaat. BUT If you go to
http://digital.pcmag.com it redirects you to that website. You are
likely registered with Ziff Davis somewhere and are therefore receiving
their marketing material.

To unsubscribe click
http://registerzdi-marketing.com/unsubscribe/u.html?u=AANSrgAQtWwB

It's a good idea to do a bit of background research to see if a scam is
actually a scam as it is common for companies to have a variety of
domain names for different things. My bank for example has what appears
to be a very dodgy looking domain name, which is entirely legit.

--
With Regards..
Barrie Dempster (zeedo) - Fortiter et Strenue

"He who hingeth aboot, geteth hee-haw" Victor - Still Game

blog:  http://reboot-robot.net
sites: http://www.bsrf.org.uk - http://www.security-forums.com
ca:    https://www.cacert.org/index.php?id=3