funsec mailing list archives

RE: Location tracking in cellphones

From: "Larry Seltzer" <larry () larryseltzer com>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2005 17:35:46 -0500

http://blog.ziffdavis.com/seltzer/archive/2005/12/03/39365.aspx

"In a recent column ('"They" Know Where You Are' -
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1893642,00.asp) I expressed concern
about abuse of location tracking data by cell phone vendors and third
parties, and noted that others were concerned about it too.

I'd like to thank Bob Oenning, the E911 Administrator of the Washington
State Military Department, Emergency Management Division, for pointing me to
the relevant US Law, 47USC222 ยง (d) & (f) -
http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=browse_usc&docid=C
ite:+47USC222. These are fairly explicit in permitting carriers to provide
location information to third parties for E911 calling, but not in other
circumstances unless the customer has given permission."

Larry Seltzer
eWEEK.com Security Center Editor
http://security.eweek.com/
http://blog.ziffdavis.com/seltzer