funsec mailing list archives

RE: How Microsoft will be changing IE to avoid the Eolas patent

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 14:12:02 -0500

Plugins actually first showed up in Netscape Navigator in the mid '90s with
the <EMBED> tag.

I also wonder if plugins were turned off completely, would people really
miss them?  Non-HTML content can always be viewed in a separate application.
For example, I long ago turned off PDF viewing in a Web browser window
because of reliably problems with Acrobat Reader.  I have found that things
work a whole lot better if a fresh copy of Acrobat Reader is fired up for
each PDF file.

Richard