funsec mailing list archives

Re: Guy With Really Bad Credit Laughs Off Identity Theft Attempt

From: Dude VanWinkle <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 14:25:53 -0700

ppl sed:
27 year old Apathy, Illinois resident Jake Brown recently laughed off
"repeated futile attempts at online identity theft" citing a dismal, useless
credit rating as cause.

Damn, that was my plan as well! Err, that and the fact I have never
had a credit card nor paypal account has helped me dismiss worries of
identity theft. Still though, current industry reports to the contrary
notwithstanding, I still feel unnerved by the fact that I can be
identified by either: my word, photo ID, fingerprint, DNA pattern, or
(as my ex's will attest to) a particularly funky odor :-(. Each of
these gets successively harder to replicate, with the difficulties
lessening with advancing technology, science, and the understanding
and discovery of anti-pheromones.

Harder to replicate is the general miasma of illness that seems to
emanate from my person, but this does little to allay my concerns; for
technology always advances hand in hand with our understanding of
science (with maybe a 10-20 year gap at best, judging from say.. the
lifetime of encryption algorithms due to the advancement of
clustering, math, and processors) . As soon as one person can use a
method of science to determine my identity, another is using
scientific methodology to duplicate a method of disproving the former
in court ;-).

Begin Yammer
_______________________________________
The first time I heard of Identity Theft was in 1995. A friend got
mugged (for 20 dollars) in New Orleans at Mardi Gras and the incident
was soon forgotten (thanks to a favorable ratio of beer over time).
The cost was raised to a total of 45 dollars, due to the cost of
replacing the wallet as well as his SS card and drivers license (cost:
ten, five, and ten dollars to replace (respectively), after informing
the County, state, and retailer (respectively) by Word, Registered
Letter, and In Person (also, also, respectively).

The long term costs, which started three years after the initial
compromise and continued till seven years past, until the resolution
(due to the notification of and proof presented by an "uneducated
consumer" were, well seven years of lawyers fees and loss of
jobs/revenue due to: the embarrassment and stigma from a combined
appearance of: serving 2 years in prison in one state (while working,
paying taxes, and accruing fines in another at the same time) and the
central authority (fed.gov) denying this could even happen in the
first place.

End Yammer

My intuition says that we need to have a review process of the
methodology of identification and the timeframe in which technology
will nullify this form of "evidence", but maybe thats just the beer
talking.

-JP
"I know it wont happen, and I told you it was the beer talking, but
that doesnt make it a bad idea"
- | JP(beer*time)