funsec mailing list archives

Re: Adware with a rootkit - contextplus.net

From: "Wayne J. Hauber" <wjhauber () iastate edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 12:15:23 -0600

At 09:12 AM 11/17/2005, Calamity Jane wrote:

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 13:08:20 -0600 "Wayne J. Hauber"
<wjhauber () iastate edu> writes:
> Are any of you familiar with contextplus.net?

Yes, Spyware fighters in various Security Forums have been dealing with a
lot of these for over a month.
Swandog46 at the SpywareInfo & GeeksToGo forums has developed a removal
tool called AproposFix that works very well.
You can see it in use here (page 2 of this thread has the fix tool):

Here is another example:
http://spywarewarrior.com/viewtopic.php?t=17401&highlight=aproposfix

So far, no scanners I'm aware of can remove it, much less detect it.
Samples of the installer for the "Apropos with Rootkit"  have been
submitted to various AntiMalware companies and Microsoft.  If anyone
needs it, let me know and I'll be happy to send you one.

It is also posted here for download by AntiMalware Companies: (if you
have access to that Forum)

One of our members contacted  ContextPlus and they sent an uninstaller by
email, however, because the uninstaller itself is detected by a number of
AVs as infected with Adware/Apropos, we don't recommend it.  I have
copies of that too, if anyone wants to analyze it.

Another Adware using a rootkit is CommonName.  I suspect this will be
more and more common.

I am starting to see more systems with Apropos at our school. Not too many but each one is a big time sink. I did not see your post until today and did not see the reference to removal tools. It looks like the apropos folks are a moving target... Do the removal tools still work?

I plan to alert some of the other computer consultants at our school this afternoon.

Here are a couple of the links I am sending them.

In today's Security SIG meeting, I'll talk about Apropos, a nasty bit of adware/spyware that is protected by its own rootkit. The following links provide more details:

http://vic.zonelabs.com/tmpl/body/CA/virusDetails.jsp?VId=43002

http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=453077888

If you want to read pleas for help from frustrated system admins who were trying to remove Apropos, go to: www.sysinternals.com/forum. Search for any of the terms "apropos", "wingenerics" or "ace.dll".

Wayne Hauber (515) 294-9890
Information Technology Services
IT Security and Policies
109 Durham Center, ISU, Ames, Iowa 50011
wjhauber () iastate edu