funsec mailing list archives

Re: extremely funny day in infosec

From: "Dr. Neal Krawetz" <hf () hackerfactor com>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 11:17:54 -0700 (MST)

Hi Gadi,

I've seen similar "disappearing topics" with Wikipedia.

For example:
On 12-Dec-2005, The Register had an article titled "There's no Wikipedia
entry for 'moral responsibility'".
  http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/12/12/wikipedia_no_responsibility/

I immediately went to Wikipedia and saw a very humorious web page:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_responsibility
  "POSSIBLE COPYRIGHT VIOLATION"
Yes!  Someone tried to create a 'moral responsibility' entry and did it
using copyright material!  (Very funny!)
I took screen shots, a web mirror, and printouts of it.
The entry is dated 12-Dec-2005 @ 17:08.

Today, there is a regular text entry.
The history for the page does not indicate the copyright violation nor
any edits at the time of the copyright infringement.
Someone edited the history for the Wikipedia entry.
(Technically, they moved the bad page -- with history -- to Temp and then
created a new page without the history showing a copyright violation.)

If there is no history, then it never happened.

                                        -Neal
--
Neal Krawetz, Ph.D.
Hacker Factor Solutions