funsec mailing list archives

Re: Hey old people

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 12:20:42 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005, Blue Boar wrote:

http://www.osvdb.org/blog/?p=77

Any of you guys remember any really old vulnerabilities?

My favourite is the one whereby an IBM PC tries to boot from a floppy disk
by loading and executing the boot sector, even if your normal bootup is
from the hard disk. That was introduced with the IBM XT, (1983, I think)
and first exploited in 1986.

But for a really old vulnerability you want the one whereby is you have an
EXE file, and put a COM file in the same directory, then the COM file gets
executed in preference to the EXE file when you type the filename without
extension. That existed in 1981, although it wasn't realised that it was a
vulnerability until the 1990s