funsec mailing list archives

Re: Ford Laptop Stolen with Privacy Data of 700, 000 Enployees

From: Dude VanWinkle <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 15:24:13 -0700

OK mr exaggeration, 70,000 only ;-)

On 12/22/05, Fergie <fergdawg () netzero net> wrote:
A computer with files that have the names and Social Security numbers of approximately >70,000 current and former
employees of Ford Motor Company was stolen, the company >reported.

FORD: Foisted Off Ridiculous (amount) of Data
or
           Fucked Over Retired Dudes

  Seriously though, who needs 70k ssn#'s on their laptop? I have no
idea why someone would need access to this kind of data when they are
on the plane. Since all laptops now have wifi this is just a BAD idea.

Ford says it has no evidence that the information has been used for identity theft. The car >maker has told employees
whose information was in the computer, and it has offered to >pay for credit-monitoring services.

So lemme get this straight, when I steal a laptop I should immediately
start using the SSN's stored on it to get my buddies credit cards,
then email Ford about it ;-)

I am afraid that this blanket statement that (eventually) accompanies
all data theft is actually reassuring people that they have nothing to
worry about.

-JP (254-86-2232)