funsec mailing list archives

Re: Merry CHRISTMA EXEC to you....

From: Hank Nussbacher <hank () efes iucc ac il>
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 09:24:12 +0200

At 06:17 PM 24-12-05 -0500, Jeff Kell wrote:
Andrew Haninger wrote:
> On 12/24/05, Fergie <fergdawg () netzero net> wrote:
>
>>  http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/#00000750
>>
> Can you (or someone else) let the rest of us in on the history behind
> that image/text? Where/when is it from?
It was a Rexx exec that ran rampant in BITNET (and other IBM-based
networks).  It did the equivalent of sending itself to everyone in the
recipient's address books (filename $NAMES).  The screenshot is what the
result looked like on your terminal (or TN3270 session) while it was
mailing itself to everyone in the background.

This might put me in the "old folks" category, but attached is the EXEC as from my hard disk dated Dec 16, 1987. Hi Jeff!

Jeff

-Hank