funsec mailing list archives

RE: Format of embedded graphics

From: "Discini, Sonny" <Sonny.Discini () montgomerycountymd gov>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 09:11:45 -0500

It came through formatted as HTML to me...I have unregistered
shimgvw.dll per the Microsoft work-around and the .gif came through as
an attachment,  the placeholder in the email is the 'can't view the
graphic'  red X box.

        Marc D'Aloisio, CISSP
        Network Security Analyst; Security Incident Response
        State of Connecticut - Department of Information Technology

                Most of you, I suspect, read e-mail as plain text. For
experimental purposes this message is sent as HTML with a graphic
embedded with a question

<outbind://218-000000005384F517C8AD9748884180DED30A6CDAA4615401/http://w
ww.larryseltzer.com/testimage.gif>

                This graphic was a non-malicious WMF file that I renamed
.GIF and embedded.

                So what happens to the format of such a graphic when
embedded in an HTML e-mail? Is it forced to GIF or JPG, or is it perhaps
still a WMF and potentially malicious?

                Larry Seltzer
                eWEEK.com Security Center Editor
                http://security.eweek.com/ <http://security.eweek.com/>
                http://blog.ziffdavis.com/seltzer
<http://blog.ziffdavis.com/seltzer>
                Contributing Editor, PC Magazine
                larryseltzer () ziffdavis com

                I have made no changes to my system and I see the
graphic displayed the same way, a red X placeholder.

                Sonny Discini, Senior Network Security Engineer
                Department of Technology Services
                Enterprise Infrastructure Division
                Montgomery County Government