funsec mailing list archives

Re: Are Office document files also an attack vector for the .WMF flaw?

From: Tom Van Vleck <thvv () multicians org>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 11:03:16 -0500

On Dec 29, 2005, at 10:34 AM, Richard M. Smith wrote:

I suspect that a booby-trapped .WMF file can be embedded in Office files (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, ....) and will auto-execute when a document file
is opened.

I think it's worse than that.. it's not just WMF.  Native
Word etc may also be vulnerable to buffer overflow attacks,
unless they rigorously check every value when reading their
proprietary files.  I have seen Word crash when attempting to
open a damaged .doc file, which shows that it didn't check
perfectly.