funsec mailing list archives

RE: Are Office document files also an attack vector for the.WMF flaw?

From: "Todd Towles" <toddtowles () brookshires com>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 10:45:43 -0600

Tom wrote -
I think it's worse than that.. it's not just WMF.  Native
Word etc may also be vulnerable to buffer overflow attacks,
unless they rigorously check every value when reading their
proprietary files.  I have seen Word crash when attempting to
open a damaged .doc file, which shows that it didn't check perfectly.

Good point, but that does go beyond the scope of the WMF exploit
attacks. Office documents could be a vector and as far as I can tell,
where not talked about very much yet - yet e-mail and web-based attack
will be the main attack vectors.

Microsoft has problems with Office...but that is another topic all
together.

Ad () heapover com posted a Null Pointer bug for Excel to PacketStorm
yesterday. Sounds like the thing that was on sell for Ebay, but he
confirmed to me that it isn't the same..but sounds close to the same
road.

http://packetstormsecurity.org/filedesc/excelBugs.html

-Todd